Tre Bicchieri 2020 Campania. Current situation
What is lacking in the Campania wine for a definitive leap in quality? Certainly, it's not a question of quality in the glass or, at least, not just that. Because there are so many peaks, especially in whites. And these are peaks full of character, personality, evocative strength, flavour. That very flavour that makes Campania one of the most desired destinations in the world for those who love good food and products that speak to the heart. And in terms of unpredictability and curiosity––be it the diversity of styles, richness of varieties and territories––the ingredients for a fascinating and complete story are all present. Yet the change of pace, especially in terms of image, in Italy and in the world, is slower than expected. Yet, we're optimistic.
Tre Bicchieri 2020 Campania. Next steps
In regard to production, it takes a fair amount of ambition, desire to improve every day and aiming high, to invest with mad obstinacy on these simply extraordinary territories. Yes, we would like to see a little more courage, some more wide-ranging projects, capable of launching a new vision, of opening up to the world, of questioning some winemaking hinges, the centrality and a certain way of thinking about Aglianico, for example. Furthermore, we would like to see more wineries specializing in a journey and a denomination; it's not mandatory to try all types, perhaps buying grapes. And thus touch the longevity of the great wines of Campania, the Fiano di Avellino, the Greco di Tufo, the surprising Falanghine, the Taurasi that rumble even 40 years after the harvest.
Finally, we would like to see the regional winemaking sector increasingly open to dialogue with the food sector, within a tourism and reception plan that today appears only outlined in pencil. Meanwhile, the bottles are doing the talking.
Tre Bicchieri 2020 Campania. New entries and bottles to keep a close watch on
There are 23 Tre Bicchieri assigned in Campania in this edition. Among the new entries, we'd like to point out the world premiere for Bosco De’ Medici, at the foot of Mt Vesuvius, with a Pompeii Bianco, made from caprettone grapes, that's aromatically refined and original. In closing, we present a selection of boutique wines that have reached our Finals. Let's start with the poignant and complex smoky trace of Fiano di Avellino by VentitréFilari, the marine intertwining of Sireo by Abbazia di Crapolla, the intense tones of peat and pepper from 33/33/33 by Vallisassoli, among the whites. Among the reds, we follow the light-heartedness of roses and pomegranates by Giuseppe Apicella's Piedirosso and the rhythm of a powerful and vibrant red: the Falerno Primitivo produced by Regina Viarum.
Tre Bicchieri 2020 Campania. The wines awarded
- Caiatì Pallagrello Bianco 2017 – Alois
- Campi Flegrei Falanghina 2018 – Agnanum
- Costa d’Amalfi Furore Bianco Fiorduva 2018 – Marisa Cuomo
- È Iss Tintore Prephilloxera 2016 – Tenuta San Francesco
- Falanghina del Sannio Janare Senete 2018 – La Guardiense
- Falanghina del Sannio Svelato 2018 – Terre Stregate
- Falanghina del Sannio Taburno 2018 – Fontanavecchia
- Fiano di Avellino 2018 – Colli di Lapio
- Fiano di Avellino Bosco Satrano 2017 – Villa Raiano
- Fiano di Avellino Empatia 2018 – Donnachiara
- Fiano di Avellino Pietramara 2018 – I Favati
- Fiano di Avellino Tognano 2016 – Rocca del Principe
- Greco 2018 – Pietracupa
- Greco di Tufo Tornante 2018 – Traerte
- Montevetrano 2017 – Montevetrano
- Pian di Stio 2018 – San Salvatore 1988
- Pompeii Bianco 2018 – Bosco de’ Medici
- Sabbie di Sopra il Bosco 2017 – Nanni Copè
- Sannio Sant’Agata dei Goti Piedirosso Artus 2017 – Mustilli
- Taurasi Piano di Montevergine Ris. 2014 – Feudi di San Gregorio
- Taurasi Puro Sangue Ris. 2014 – Luigi Tecce
- Taurasi V. Macchia dei Goti Ris. 2015 – Antonio Caggiano
- Terra di Rosso 2017 – Galardi