Tre Bicchieri 2020 Lombardy
When speaking of star regions and that are emerging on the Italian wine scene, Lombardy is rarely or almost never mentioned. Big mistake. With an extraordinary progression over the last two decades Lombard wineries have achieved a series of important objectives, and have conquered significant market shares both in Italy and in the most important markets abroad.
Tre Bicchieri 2020 Lombardy. IThe success of Franciacorta
The first denomination that comes to mind when talking about Lombardy is Franciacorta, which with its unwavering self-promotion brought its cuvées around our regions and around the world, achieving significant success. But self-promotion would not be enough, if behind it were not solid quality, cutting-edge technical knowledge and incredible commitment of many producers, in addition to the natural vocation of the terroir. All this exists in Franciacorta, as in other areas of the region.
Tre Bicchieri 2020 Lombardy. Lugana, Valtellina, Oltrepò Pavese and other denominations
For example, think of another famous name, Lugana, even if shared with the nearby Veneto region, it’s a best seller at home and in the markets of Northern Europe. The Valtellina again this year gave us reds of great caliber, fruit of heroic viticulture, while very positive signals come from Oltrepò Pavese, which is becoming aware of the extraordinary possibilities of its many highly-suited terroirs, from the classic method to the great reds and whites provide endless possibilities.
The examination of the region does not end here. The small denominations are growing, as proved for example by Botticino, and the Garda area on the Brescia side––Valtènesi in the lead––is in a very positive evolution, and encouraging signs also come from lesser known areas such as Valcalepio, Valcamonica and even from the province of Lecco.
Tre Bicchieri 2020 Lombardy. Looking ahead
Finally, healthy Lombard pragmatism ensures that companies are managed wisely, with a keen eye for innovation and marketing. Something that doesn’t only concern the most important brands, but that is also shared by medium and small-sized wineries.
Finally, a region where new companies continue to arise in the various districts means that the region boasts allure for investors and can attract significant human and capital resources.
A historical year for number of awards, as many as 25, we greet the wineries that make their debut in the exclusive club of Tre Bicchieri: Cantina Scuropasso with Pas Dosé Roccapietra ’13, Fiamberti with Buttafuoco Storico Vigna Sacca del Prete ‘ 15, both in Oltrepò, and then Podere Selva Capuzza with Lugana Menasasso Riserva ’15 and Perla del Garda with Lugana Superiore Madonna della Scoperta ’17.
Tre Bicchieri 2020 Lombardy. The wines awarded
- Botticino Gobbio 2017 – Noventa
- Farfalla Brut Zero Dosage M. Cl. – Ballabio
- Franciacorta Dosage Zero Secolo Novo Ris. 2011 – Marchesine
- Franciacorta Dosaggio Zero Bagnadore Ris. 2011 – Barone Pizzini
- Franciacorta Dosaggio Zero Cuvée Annamaria Clementi Ris. 2009 – Ca’ del Bosco
- Franciacorta Extra Brut 2013 – Sparviere
- Franciacorta Nature 61 2012 – Berlucchi & C.
- Franciacorta Non Dosato Alma – Bellavista
- Franciacorta Pas Dosè Riserva 33 Ris. 2012 – Ferghettina
- Franciacorta Satèn 2015 – Mosnel
- Franciacorta Satèn 2015 – Contadi Castaldi
- Franciacorta Satèn 2015 – Ricci Curbastro
- Lugana Menasasso Ris. 2015 – Selva Capuzza
- Lugana Sup. Madonna della Scoperta 2017 – Perla del Garda
- Nature M. Cl. – Monsupello
- OP Buttafuoco Bricco Riva Bianca 2016 – Picchioni
- OP Buttafuoco Storico V. Sacca del Prete 2015 – Fiamberti
- Roccapietra Pas Dosé M. Cl. 2013 – Scuropasso
- Sforzato di Valtellina Ronco del Picchio 2016 – Fay
- Tavernetto Pinot Nero 2016 – Conte Vistarino
- Top Zero Pas Dosé M. Cl. – Giorgi
- Valtellina Sforzato Corte di Cama 2017 – Mamete Prevostini
- Valtellina Sfursat 5 Stelle 2016 – Nino Negri
- Valtellina Sup. Grumello Dirupi Ris. 2016 – Dirupi
- Valtellina Sup. Grumello Ris. 2013 – Rainoldi
- Valtènesi Chiaretto Molmenti 2016 – Costaripa