Tre Bicchieri Puglia
So many confirmed winners this year in Puglia for our Guide, starting with an overall growth being chronicled for some time now and doesn't appear to stop. In spite of the fact that in regards to last year the number of wineries present has increased, also this time the selection to enter the Guide was draconian and left out many more than worthy wineries.
Tre Bicchieri 2020 Puglia. Primitivo in the lead
The affirmation of Primitive as a reference grape is also confirmed, a trend that can no longer be classified as a trend. The characteristics of this grape variety and the different variations that we found throughout the region obtained an ever greater appreciation from both Italian and foreign enthusiasts. This year we greeted with pleasure the first Tre Bicchieri obtained from a rosé wine made from primitivo grapes, Idea by Varvaglione winery, as well as a historic cooperative winery, Produttori di Manduria with their Primitivo di Manduria Lirica.
Tre Bicchieri 2020 Puglia. The good performance of the Gioia del Colle denomination
There is a positve overall growth of Tre Bicchieri: this year 11 companies of this denomination have brought at least one wine in the finals, and we will never tire of reminding readers that making it to our finals means being part of the nation's production elite.
Tre Bicchieri 2020 Puglia. Looking at Salento
In Salento we are pleased with the return to the forefront of the historic company of the Taurino family with its Patriglione, we noted a lack of growth behind the most famous names, both in Salice Salentino and in the production of negroamaro-based wines with Salento geographical indication. Something seems to be coming up in the province of Foggia, where we saw a quality growth that still needs confirmation, but that promises interesting prospects for this territory.
At the risk of being repetitive, and someone may say obsessed, also this year we close with a note on the disproportionate weight of many of the most significant bottles of Puglia. This year we counted over fifty with a total weight exceeding 1900 grams, that is a product of almost two kilos per each 750 ml. of wine. Do we hear someone say "grotesque"?
Tre Bicchieri 2020 Puglia. The wines awarded
- Askos Verdeca 2018 – Masseria Li Veli
- Castel del Monte Rosso V. Pedale Ris. 2016 – Torrevento
- Don Antonio Primitivo 2017 – Coppi
- Gioia del Colle Primitivo 17 Vign. Montevella 2016 – Polvanera
- Gioia del Colle Primitivo Muro Sant’Angelo Contrada Barbatto 2016 – Tenute Chiaromonte
- Idea 2018 – Varvaglione 1921
- Negroamaro 2017 – Carvinea
- Oltremé Susumaniello 2018 – Tenute Rubino
- Primitivo di Manduria Lirica 2017 – Produttori di Manduria
- Primitivo di Manduria Piano Chiuso 26 27 63 Ris. 2016 – Masca del Tacco
- Primitivo di Manduria Raccontami 2017 – Vespa – Vignaioli per Passione
- Primitivo di Manduria Sessantanni 2016 – San Marzano
- Primitivo di Manduria Zinfandel Sinfarosa Terra Nera 2017 – Felline
- Salice Salentino Rosso Donna Lisa Ris. 2016 – Leone de Castris
- Salice Salentino Rosso Selvarossa Ris. 2016 – Cantine Due Palme
- Taccorosso Negroamaro 2015 – Cantine Paolo Leo