This was the first Italian milling group, one of the leaders in Europe in the production of common and durum wheat flours for domestic, industrial and professional purposes. Its origins date back to the mid-1800s, when Antonio Costato founded the first family mill on the banks of the Po, at Guarda Veneta, followed by another in Rovigo, in 1921, thanks to Marcello Costato, whose son took the company nationwide. A third opened in Rome, then mills in Porto Marghera, Coriano Veronese and Cordovado were acquired. In 1997, GMI became single shareholder of Trieste Terminal Cereali, while in 2000 saw it becoming a leading exporter of flour around the world. The Livorno plant was built and a network of branches developed, completing group restructuring. The year after a 50% stake in Molini Riuniti was acquired.